What does it actually take to become a highly paid-digital marketer? Do you dream of working for a top marketing agency, working remotely from your laptop, or starting your own marketing agency? Looking to make 100k or more a year with Digital Marketing?
Well, no matter what you’re looking for, you need a blueprint to help get you there!
After being in the Digital marketing industry for over 11 years, I’ve worked in almost every possible marketing role there is. I’ve earnt over 6 figures, and I’ve produced several online passive income streams with the skills I’ve acquired.
If you’re ready to start your career, learn a new skill, get paid handsomely to work from home or need a blueprint to help you scale to the next pay bracket, I’m here to help you crush it with Digital marketing!
So, ready to kickstart your future? Let’s dive in!
- Digital marketing covers a wide array of online skills, including, but not limited to PPC, SEO, SEM, SMM, email marketing, Funnel building, social media marketing, copywriting, sales, automation specialists, and so many more opportunities.
- Choosing a career in digital marketing offers high-paying opportunities and job security, with potential job titles including Digital Marketing Specialist, Social Media Manager, PPC Specialist, SEO Analyst, and Email Marketing Manager.
- Compared to traditional college degrees or other programs, Digital marketing can be learned entirely online through professional institutes, courses, and books.
- Most Digital marketers will often end up in a job that covers several roles, for example, you might be a copywriter and social media marketing growth specialist as there’s often a lot of cross-over between skills. We’ll cover that in more detail below!
- Being a digital marketing specialist is an exciting, fast-moving new career that you can learn from home, no matter what your current skill level is.
Disclaimer: If you choose to purchase via my link, I may receive a small commission which helps me keep this blog running.
What is Digital Marketing
Put simply, Digital marketing refers to the promotion of products or services using digital channels such as search engines, websites, social media, email, and mobile apps.
It is a broad term that encompasses various strategies and techniques to reach and engage with target audiences online. So, typically, if you read or see anything online, it’s been designed by a digital marketer – and it’s there using the techniques we’ll be covering in this article.
Unlike traditional marketing methods (billboards, newspapers, magazines etc), digital marketing allows businesses to reach a global audience, track and measure their marketing efforts, and personalize their messaging according to customer behavior.
One of the key advantages of digital marketing is its ability to target specific audience segments and measure the effectiveness of campaigns. With digital marketing, businesses can analyze data and metrics in real-time to understand the performance of their marketing efforts.
This data-driven approach enables businesses and agencies to make informed decisions and optimize their strategies for better results. And unlike traditional marketing strategies, a new digital strategy can quickly and seamlessly be implemented in days, not months or weeks!
Unlike traditional marketing methods (billboards, newspapers, magazines etc), digital marketing allows businesses to reach a global audience, track and measure their marketing efforts, and personalize their messaging according to customer behavior.– Luke
Digital Marketing Career Blueprint in 5 Steps
Here’s a 5-step blueprint to learn digital marketing and move into a high-paying career (or start your own online business).
✅ Step 1: Gain a strong foundation in marketing principles
Start by understanding the fundamentals of marketing, including concepts like target audience, market research, branding, and customer segmentation. This will provide you with a solid base to build upon. Check out my recommended books below to get a good jump start.
✅ Step 2: Acquire knowledge of Digital marketing channels and tactics
Explore various digital marketing channels such as search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, content marketing, email marketing, and pay-per-click (PPC) advertising. Learn about the different tactics and strategies used in each channel to effectively reach and engage with your target audience.
✅ Step 3: Get hands-on experience with digital marketing tools and platforms
Sign up for free trials or courses to get hands-on experience with popular digital marketing tools and platforms. Familiarize yourself with tools like Google Analytics, Google Ads, Facebook Ads Manager, email marketing platforms, and content management systems (CMS) like WordPress.
✅ Step 4: Build a strong online presence and personal brand
Although it’s not 100% necessary, I would recommend you create your own website or blog and practice applying the digital marketing techniques you have learned. Develop a strong personal brand by showcasing your skills and knowledge through content creation and engagement on social media platforms. This will help establish your credibility as a digital marketer and attract potential employers or clients.
✅ Step 5: Network and seek opportunities for practical experience
Networking is crucial in the digital marketing industry. Attend industry events, join relevant online communities, and connect with professionals in the field. Seek out opportunities for practical experience, such as internships, freelance projects, or volunteer work.
This will not only allow you to apply what you have learned but also help you build a strong portfolio that can impress potential employers or clients.
By following this blueprint and continuously updating your skills in response to industry trends, you can position yourself for a high-paying career in digital marketing!
Digital Marketing Terms/Glossary
Not sure what all those digital marketing acronyms mean?
Here’s a breakdown of all the terms covered in digital marketing:
|SEO||SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization (helping you rank highly on Google/Bing)|
|SEM||SEM stands for Search Engine Marketing.|
|PPC||PPC stands for Pay-Per-Click. How much you would pay Google to show your ad on the first page of Google|
|CPL||CPL stands for Cost Per Lead. How much you’ll pay to get a new inquiry/lead|
|CRO||CRO stands for Conversion Rate Optimization. Improving the number of visitors to your website who become paying clients.|
|CPM||CPM stands for Cost Per Mille, which means the cost per thousand impressions in online advertising.|
|CTR||CTR stands for Click Through Rate – how many click you get to your advertisement (based on total views).|
Tools You’ll Use As A Digital Marketer
This list is not exhaustive, but this is the tools I’ve typically used in each role over the years.
- Surfer SEO
- Screaming Frog
- Google Ads
- Google Keyword Planner
- Google Ads Editor
- Google Docs
- WordPress Kadence WP builder (what I use)
- RankMath Plug-in for SEO
- Google Search Console
Social Media Marketing
- Facebook / Instagram / TikTok / Snap Chat
- Google Docs
- Adobe Spark
Why Choose a Career in Digital Marketing?
Choosing a career in digital marketing offers high demand and secure high-paying opportunities. Here’s a great video that reviews one of the best courses available from Seth Hymes.
High Demand Field
In an increasingly digitized world, businesses of all sizes are recognizing the importance of a strong online presence, causing a surge in demand for digital marketing professionals.
Despite the economic downturn brought about by the Pandemic, the digital marketing field continues to see insane growth.
Digital marketing agencies and companies are actively hiring due to the increasing necessity for online business. In fact, due to many being isolated to their homes during the 2021-2022 period, eCommerce sales increased by more than 43%!
Skilled experts who can navigate SEO, PPC campaigns and email marketing effectively are highly sought after.
What a lot of new marketers don’t realize, is traditional roles in advertising now integrate digital strategies and media buying as an integral part of their operations. This increased reliance on tech skills further expands opportunities for those trained within this realm.
Secure High Paying Career Opportunities
Due to the enormous growth of the industry, Digital marketing not only offers job security but also the prospect of a promising income. In my first role as a noob digital marketer, I started on over $65k per year.
My first exposure to Digital Marketing was creating an online course and trying to promote it online. This taught me multiple skills like Copywriting, Market Research, and creating a Digital Sales Funnel.
But, the thing is, I didn’t walk into that role without any prior knowledge. By that stage, I’d been building a number of passive income streams, learning Facebook Ads & the basics of Copywriting.
And I think this is really a big part of the Digital marketing journey for most people. You need to be proactive about upskilling yourself PRIOR to applying to any jobs.
The good news is – there’s an absolute TON of information available on the web that you can start learning today.
Here are my personal recommendations for the best online platforms to learn Digital Marketing skills, how a sales funnel works (this is a big part of ALL marketing), and the basics of understanding a custom avatar.
Best Paid Digital Marketing Insitute
Right now, there are only two major digital marketing institutes I’d recommend. The first one is CXL.com – which I consider to be the gold standard of all digital marketers.
CXL Digital Marketing Institute
I’ve tried all kinds of digital marketing courses and platforms over the years, and CXL is my personal fav. It’s regularly updated and it has experts across SEO, PPC, and Copywriting.Pros:
CXL goes to a great deal of effort to secure the top 1% of all online marketers across SEO, PPC, and Copywriting and has a long record of highly successful students.
I really like their online learning platform, it’s slick, easy to use, and has a HUGE range of content available for an affordable monthly subscription fee. If you want the best option to master digital marketing from the best of the best, CXL is your #1 option.
Best Paid Digital Marketing Course Blueprint
Right now there’s a HEAP of information online about digital marketing. The biggest problem with most of it? It’s quickly outdated. Within a few months, any course you buy will be out of date and no longer relevant.
So, if you’re looking to get a high-quality blueprint (and learn from an expert) – you really need something that’s always being updated.
If you want to make an investment in a training program that’s relevant, up-to-date, and will help you reach your goal, here’s the best option:
Digital Marketing Career Blueprint
If you want to shortcut your way to a high-paying Digital Marketing career, I can’t think of a better option than this program. Check the huge number of successes on the sales page!Pros:
Here’s my top pick for a Digital marketing training course (that covers the WHOLE topic in detail) to help you either get a high-paying job or start your own digital marketing agency.
Digital Marketing Blueprint vs. Compared to College Degrees
When it comes to getting a start in the exciting field of digital marketing, the Digital Marketing Career Blueprint offers a valuable alternative to traditional college degrees.
Here’s a breakdown of how they compare:
|Aspect||College Degree||Digital Marketing Career Blueprint|
|Cost||One of the most expensive educational routes often putting students in debt.||More financially accessible; monthly payment that’s affordable or one of the payment options.|
|Time||Usually takes four years to complete a degree.||Allows students to learn at their own pace; Instant access to all online course content.|
|Practicality||Focuses on theoretical knowledge.||Focuses on practical, job-oriented skills. The training covers digital marketing skills such as PPC, SEM, SEO, SMM, email marketing, and more.|
|Support||Limited support and mentorship opportunities.||Unlimited support from industry professionals, a private forum for community support, and twice-weekly coaching calls.|
|Job Opportunities||May not guarantee job placement after graduation.||Exclusive network/job opportunities provided. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still numerous daily job openings in digital marketing in the US and worldwide.|
The Digital Marketing Career Blueprint provides a cost-effective, practical, and supportive route to a rewarding career in digital marketing. Its focus on real-world skills and job placement opportunities underscores its benefits when compared to traditional college degrees.
Versus Other Programs
Not sure if you should pick up an online course like Seth Hymes’ Digital Marketing career blueprint or look at higher education? Here are my thoughts…
|Features||Digital Marketing Career Blueprint||Other Programs|
|Cost||$797 one-time payment or $297/month for three months||Varies, but often more expensive. Especially if you decide to attend college or university.|
|Course Content||Covers PPC, SEM, SEO, SMM, email marketing and more||May not cover all digital marketing aspects|
|Learning Outcomes||Focused on practical, job-oriented skills||Often more theoretical, less job-oriented. Typically out of date by the time you learn it.|
|Support||Mentorship from working professionals, twice-weekly coaching calls, private community forum||May not offer direct mentorship or community support. One to many learning environments.|
|Career Opportunities||Exclusive network/job opportunities, even during the COVID-19 pandemic||May not provide job opportunities or networks|
|Money-Back Guarantee||Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee||Normally zero refund policy.|
In conclusion, an online program like Seth provides a comprehensive, affordable, and career-focused approach to learning digital marketing.
This makes it a much smarter choice for individuals interested in pursuing a career in this field.
Best Free Digital Marketing
Looking for something free to see if Digital Marketing is a good career choice for you? Check out these awesome free resources.
Is free training enough to get a job in Digital Marketing? That’s a great question. Here are my thoughts: Yes, you can get an entry-level job in Digital marketing with basic free training, however, to get a higher-paying job I recommend you invest in a paid program so employees know you’re serious about your career choice. Remember, something like CXL starts at only $1.
- Google Digital Garage: This free online course offers modules on various aspects of digital marketing, including search engine optimization (SEO), social media marketing, and analytics.
- HubSpot Academy: HubSpot offers a range of free certification courses on topics such as inbound marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and more.
- Facebook Blueprint: Created by Facebook, this platform provides free training and certification courses on advertising and marketing strategies for the Facebook ecosystem.
- Moz SEO Training: Moz offers a series of beginner-friendly SEO courses that cover topics like keyword research, link building, and on-page optimization.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning provides a wide selection of digital marketing courses taught by industry experts. Topics include PPC advertising, content strategy, and social media marketing.
- SEMrush Academy: SEMrush offers free online courses that cover SEO fundamentals, keyword research, competitor analysis, and other important aspects of digital marketing.
- Hootsuite Academy: Hootsuite provides free training on social media management and strategy through its Hootsuite Academy platform.
- YouTube Creator Academy: Aspiring video marketers can access the YouTube Creator Academy for tutorials on creating engaging video content, optimizing videos for search rankings, and growing a YouTube channel.
- Buffer’s Social Media Week webinar series: Buffer hosts a series of webinars focused on social media strategies and tactics aimed at helping businesses improve their digital presence.
- Coursera’s Digital Marketing Specialization: While Coursera charges for most of its courses, it does offer financial aid options for students who cannot afford the fees to take their Digital Marketing Specialization program from top universities like Wharton School or University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
Potential Career Job Titles
Once you’ve gone through one of the options mentioned in this post, you’ll want to select a Digital Marketing career from one of the options below. Most of the career options listed below will start at somewhere between 50-60k (depending on your location, skills etc) and can earn anywhere up to 100-150k per year.
Career Options For Digital Marketers
The Pros and Cons of a Digital Marketing Career
Digital Marketing Pros
Digital Marketing Cons
Discover the advantages and disadvantages of a digital marketing career and make an informed decision about your future. Read more to find out!
Advantages of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing offers numerous advantages for individuals looking to pursue a career in this field. Here are some key advantages:
- High-Demand Field: Digital marketing is an in-demand industry with a growing number of job opportunities. Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still thousands of daily job openings in digital marketing, making it a recession-proof and secure career choice.
- Secure High-Paying Career Opportunities: Digital marketing professionals often enjoy high-paying salaries. With the right skills and experience, you can easily earn a lucrative income and increase your lifetime earnings.
- Versatility and Flexibility: A digital marketing career allows for flexibility and versatility. Whether you want to work full-time or as a freelancer, there are multiple options available to suit your lifestyle. Remote work is also common in this field, allowing you to work from anywhere.
- Entry-Level Opportunities: Unlike many other professions that require years of education and experience, digital marketing offers entry-level opportunities for individuals without prior experience or degrees. This makes it an accessible career choice for anyone interested in this field.
- Constantly Evolving Industry: The digital marketing landscape is always changing, which means there’s always something new to learn and explore. This makes the field exciting and dynamic, providing ample growth opportunities for professionals who stay updated with the latest trends and technologies.
- Diverse Skill Set Development: Digital marketing encompasses various disciplines such as SEO (Search Engine Optimization), PPC (Pay Per Click) advertising, social media marketing, email marketing, and more. By working in this field, you can acquire a diverse skill set that can benefit you throughout your career.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Digital marketers have access to vast amounts of data that can be collected through tools like Google Analytics and other analytics platforms. This data enables marketers to make informed decisions and optimize campaigns based on real-time insights.
- Global Reach: Unlike traditional marketing methods that often have geographical limitations, digital marketing allows businesses to reach a global audience. This opens up opportunities to work with international clients or companies without the need for a physical presence.
- Personal Branding Opportunities: Digital marketing offers individuals the chance to build and establish their personal brand online. From creating content on social media platforms to showcasing your expertise through blogging, you can position yourself as an authority in your industry.
- Measurable Results: Unlike traditional marketing methods, digital marketing provides measurable results. Through analytics tools and tracking systems, marketers can monitor the performance of their campaigns and make data-driven optimizations to maximize ROI.
Disadvantages of Digital Marketing
- Rapidly changing landscape: Digital marketing tactics and strategies are constantly evolving, requiring marketers to stay updated with the latest trends and techniques. This can be time-consuming and challenging to keep up with.
- Information overload: With the vast amount of data and information available online, it can be overwhelming for marketers to filter through and identify what is most relevant to their campaigns. This can lead to analysis paralysis and decision-making challenges.
- Cybersecurity risks: As more businesses rely on digital platforms for their marketing efforts, there is an increased risk of cyber threats such as hacking, data breaches, and identity theft. Marketers need to invest in robust security measures to protect sensitive customer data.
- Ad fatigue: Consumers are bombarded with digital ads on a daily basis, leading to ad fatigue. This makes it harder for marketers to capture and maintain the attention of their target audience, resulting in lower click-through rates and conversions.
- Over-reliance on technology: Digital marketing heavily relies on technology tools and platforms. While these tools can enhance efficiency and effectiveness, they also come with their own set of challenges such as technical issues, software updates, and dependency on third-party providers.
- Measurement complexities: Measuring the success of digital marketing campaigns can be complex due to multiple metrics involved (e.g., click-through rates, conversion rates) as well as attribution challenges. Marketers need a clear understanding of analytics tools and data interpretation skills.
Understanding the Digital Marketing Landscape
The digital marketing landscape is dynamic, challenging, and ever-evolving. Learn about the over-reliance on technology, the struggle to stand out, and the risks of information overload and cybersecurity.
Dive deeper into this exciting field to uncover its pros and cons. Read more to gain insights that will help you navigate this rapidly changing environment successfully.
Over-reliance on Technology
In the digital marketing landscape, one of the challenges professionals face is the over-reliance on technology. With advancements in automation, artificial intelligence, and data analytics tools, digital marketers heavily rely on these technological solutions to streamline processes and improve efficiency.
However, this reliance comes with its own set of drawbacks. It’s essential for marketers not to lose sight of the human element in their strategies. While technology can provide valuable insights and automate certain tasks, it cannot replace human creativity, intuition, and empathy when it comes to understanding customer needs and crafting compelling marketing messages.
Rapidly Changing Environment
The digital marketing industry is known for its rapidly changing environment. Technology and trends are constantly evolving, requiring professionals to stay updated in order to remain competitive.
With new platforms, algorithms, and strategies being introduced regularly, it’s important for digital marketers to be adaptable and willing to learn. This fast-paced nature of the industry can be both exciting and challenging.
On the one hand, it offers opportunities for innovation and creativity. On the other hand, it can be overwhelming with information overload and the need to constantly upgrade skills. However, this dynamic landscape also means that there is always something new to explore and master in digital marketing, keeping professionals on their toes while ensuring they are at the forefront of industry developments.
Digital marketing is easily the most rapidly evolving industry I’ve ever worked in. With constantly evolving trends, strategies, and tools, it can be overwhelming to keep up with the vast amount of information available.
This influx of data makes it difficult to identify what is relevant and valuable for effective marketing campaigns. My suggestion is to either pick one vertical (SEO for example) and focus all your attention on that FIRST. Then, once you’re in a successful digital marketing role you’ll naturally begin to learn about other aspects of the industry along the way.
Cybersecurity risks are a constant concern. As businesses increasingly rely on technology to reach their target audiences, they also become vulnerable to cyber threats.
With information being shared online and personal data being collected, it is essential for digital marketers to prioritize cybersecurity measures. From data breaches to phishing attacks, the potential risks can be daunting. You’ll need to treat client data with respect and focus on using tools like 1Password to keep things safe and secure.
Lack of Personal Touch
During COVID-19, I spent almost 3 years at home without seeing anyone face to face. Whilst I enjoyed the peace and quiet, there was a real lack of human interaction.
If you enjoy working remotely, or love technology (like I do), digital marketing is an excellent choice! It can lead to MANY opportunities in various digital industries. Again, I strongly recommend you head over to CXL.com and pick up their $1 trial to learn from industry experts about SEO, PPC, content marketing and sales funnels.
The road to 100k a year is actually easy to obtain, as long you focus on becoming an expert in one vertical. Do this, work hard, get your reps in, and build a solid network of experts around you. It’s how I did it, and it’s how anyone can do the same!
Great Books About Digital Marketing
The 1-Page Marketing Plan from Alan Dibb is an excellent book to help you grasp the basics of Digital Marketing and growing a business online. Whenever someone asks me to recommend a book to get started with, it’s always this one. Pick it up on Amazon today.
There’s a good chance you’ve probably already heard of Russell Brunson DotCom secrets before. It’s easily one of the best books about digital marketing, sales funnels, and growing any business. Russell talks about Clickfunnels, why it was created, and how he’s helped thousands of businesses by making small tweaks to their funnel. Grab it for free with the button below.
Writing sales copy is truly an art form. Want to know the best secrets in the business? Pick up Copywriting secrets from Jim Edwards to see how he’s able to turn simple words on a page to millions of dollars. This book is both entertaining and engaging. I think you’ll love it!
What are the key skills needed for a career in digital marketing?
Key skills needed for a career in digital marketing include proficiency in social media platforms, knowledge of SEO, an understanding of analytics tools, content creation, and basic copywriting abilities.
How can I start a career in digital marketing?
To start a career in digital marketing, it is recommended to gain foundational knowledge either through books, online courses or a platform like CXL.com
What are some potential job roles within the digital marketing industry?
Some potential job roles within the digital marketing industry include social media manager, SEO specialist/consultant, content marketer/copywriter, digital advertising strategist, email marketer, web analyst, PPC (Pay-Per-Click) specialist, marketing automation specialist, and E-commerce manager.