Is your Klaviyo email list growing, but you’re not sure who your best customers are? Heard that you might need to clean your email list?
There are a lot of benefits to taking the time to clean your email list, the two biggest ones being that you can often draw even more revenue from your audience and increase email deliverability.
Ready to jump in and get started?
What is Klaviyo List Cleaning?
Using Klaviyo, we have the ability to create filters for our existing email list. Using these filters, we can remove parts of our audience who are no longer active, haven’t purchased from us in a while, or haven’t read one of our emails in a set period of time.
By removing those who are no longer engaged in our products/services – we create a ‘clean’ list of subscribers who are the most likely to purchase from our brand. List cleaning means we might reduce the size of our email list and only send to those who open our emails, visit our site, or recently purchased from us.
A ‘clean’ email list means more sales & a much higher deliverability rate – meaning you land in people’s inboxes (rather than the promos or spam tab).
3 Reasons You Need to Know About Klaviyo List Cleaning
- You might be paying too much for Klaviyo
Klaviyo has a pricing model that works based on the size of your current email list. This means if you have a huge email list and you haven’t taken the time to clean it recently, you’re probably paying too much.
Reducing the size of your email list might be scary, but there are lots of benefits to having an active & engaged list.
- Your email deliverability matters
If you’re sending emails to a huge list of people, and a big percentage of those individuals aren’t opening your emails or marking them as spam – you’ve got a big problem. Your email deliverability score is going to suck.
By taking the time to clean your email list inside Klaviyo, you can rapidly boost your email deliverability and make sure you land in people’s inboxes, rather than the promotional tab or worse: the spam folder. If you’re not sure what your existing deliverability score looks like, use a tool like sender score to see what you’re current domain rating is. Remember: A higher score means more people get your email, read it, and buy more stuff.
- Increase profits with a more engaged list
If your emails are going to people who are more engaged, have recently joined your list, read your content, or have purchased one of your products, guess what – they are more interested in what you’ve got to say.
In digital marketing, we call this the middle of the funnel. Basically, they know who you are, they’ve visited your site, consumed blog content, and visited your Instagram and they like what you’re about. They want to hear from you, and they’re closer to making a purchase from you. This is where you want to focus your attention. A more engaged list of people = more sales.
Step-by-Step Instructions to clean your Klaviyo email list
Here are the step-by-step instructions to clean your email list inside Klaviyo:
- Log into your Klaviyo account
- Click on the ‘Lists and Segments’ section on the left-hand side menu
- Click the ‘Create List/Segment’ button the top right corner
- Click the ‘Segment’ button
- Give your new segment a new name. I personally use something along these lines: Brand Name | Engaged Audience | 30Days. This makes it easier to find once you’re sending campaigns to these people. We sometimes create both a 30-day and 60-day engaged audience too, so it’s important to add the time frame to the actual name.
- Add the following parameters to your clean list to get the best results:
Here you can see we’ve selected anyone in our main newsletter list, they’ve opened an email at least once in the last 30 days OR they’ve clicked an email at least once in the last 30 days.
Again, sometimes, depending on the brand I’ll create a second segment using 60 days instead of 30 days. Try running a campaign to both audiences and see which delivers the best results.
Key Considerations For Successfully Creating a Clean List in Klaviyo
Once you’ve got your clean list created, it’s time to test it with offers, promotions, new product releases, and Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals.
Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t spam your audience with too many campaigns. A “clean list” typically means a smaller list than what you’ve previously been promoting to. You don’t want to overload that audience by sending multiple emails each week because people will either unsubscribe or start ignoring you.
- You can ask if people are still interested in hearing from you and then remove them from your list. You’ve probably experienced this in your inbox, but often a brand will ask if you still want to receive their emails before they tag you as ‘inactive’. You can set this as an automated flow in Klaviyo, but I’d only recommend it if you have a huge email list.
- Have a good sunset flow in place to try and reduce email subscriber churn. A good sunset flow offers a discount/coupon to anyone who hasn’t purchased from you in a few months. It’s a great way to keep people engaged and keep them as an active subscriber.
Taking it to the Next Level: How to Get The Most Revenue From Your List
Once you’ve created your 30-day highly engaged list, how do you get the most from it? By sending a mixture of both content, best-selling products & unique offers. This is where a good email content plan comes into play. By having a really solid campaign plan in place, you can send content to your clean list that they actually care about.
Just released a new product? Awesome – let your engaged audience know.
Ordered too many products and need to get some space back in the warehouse? Perfect – email your clean list!
You get the idea… your clean list is active, highly engaged and cares about your brand and products.
Wrapping Up and My Experience With List Cleaning
While there’s often a lot of focus on email automation, sales copy, and split testing inside Klaviyo, cleaning a clean list of email subscribers can have a HUGE impact on your deliverability stats and overall revenue.
I recommend you follow the instructions in this blog post, create both a 30day and 60day clean list and test them over the next few months.
50k Klaviyo Sequence (My Welcome Sequence Warm Hug)